Search This Blog

Benefits of Sleeping with your Pet

Every night, I fall asleep to the sound of my cat purring loudly while he "makes biscuits" on my blanket. At some point during the night, he ends up sandwiching himself between me and my fiancĂ©. It wasn't until my cat needed to be hospitalized overnight for a urethral blockage that I realized just how much I need my cat's warm, furry, purring presence at night. For better or for worse, I've realized that I simply can't sleep without my kitty! I'm not alone, either; a survey by Sealy Mattresses found that more than two-thirds of pet owners sleep with their animals. Fortunately for us, there are many benefits associated with this common practice.
The most obvious benefit associated with co-sleeping with a pet is the bond it fosters between pet and owner. There are few activities more intimate than sleeping side-by-side with another living creature. That's the reason that almost all social animals (including humans, until very recently) sleep in big "piles" that include all members of an extended family. Sleeping with your pooch or kitty nestled against you reassures yourself (and your pet) that you trust each other and feel safe together. These nap-time bonds are vital for strengthening your relationship with your pet.
A strong bond between pet and owner has been shown to improve the health of both the animal and his master. The CDC acknowledges that pet ownership improves heart health and reduces feelings of loneliness. If you work full-time and don't get to spend many of your waking hours with your pet, you can help to reap the benefits of pet ownership by spending time with your pet while you snooze. Nighttime bonding can make up for daytime separation, giving you the health benefits of spending time with your pet.
Finally, sleep-sharing with your pooch or kitty could help to improve your mental health. I work from home as a freelance writer, and I would have a very lonely job if it weren't for my cat's presence in my life. The snuggles, kisses and presence of a pet can help to ease feelings of loneliness, anxiety, and depression, especially among people who have little contact with other people. This is precisely why therapy dogs are so highly valued in nursing homes, where they can provide companionship to the sick and elderly.
Unfortunately, sleeping with your pet isn't entirely risk-free. If you choose to sleep with your pet, make sure to take common-sense precautions to keep yourself (and your pet) safe and healthy. Visit your vet regularly to keep your pets free of intestinal parasites and fleas. By following practical hygiene guidelines, you can reap the benefits of sleeping with your pet without taking unnecessary risks.

No comments:

Post a Comment