Search This Blog

Wellness Pet Food Review


  As the owner of two pets with special medical needs, I've seen firsthand how much diet can affect an animal's health. One of my cats has been on a carefully selected premium diet for two years because of health problems. If he eats lower-quality foods for even a few days, he develops life-threatening urinary crystals and severe stomach problems. My dog's body is just as picky: she needs just the right balance of quality food, or her tummy will rebel in a ways that require an iron stomach and an impressive supply of carpet cleaner to manage. That's why I was excited when I had a chance to try out Wellness Pet Food, a line of top-notch pet foods made with only natural and healthy ingredients.

  Wellness Pet Foods are specifically formulated to include only high-grade ingredients that promote lifelong health and vitality. The company's resident veterinarian, Dr. Al Townshend, explains that Wellness Pet Foods promote the health of the digestive system with lots of lean meats, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, without any wheat, corn, or soy (which often upset sensitive pets' stomachs). Their foods also reduce issues associated with allergies, like rashes, and supply a respectable amount of essential fatty acids that keep animals' skin healthy.

  For pets like mine with chronic health problems, Dr. Townshend notes that Wellness Foods can be a helpful solution. They're specifically formulated to improve urinary health and to meet the needs of pets with sensitive digestion. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my most sensitive cat, whose body usually rebels to new foods, chomped down the Wellness Divine Duos wet foods without experiencing his typical tummy troubles afterward. His reaction to the Divine Duos food was especially welcome, since he normally eschews wet food even though his vet recommends it for his urinary health. However, Dr. Townshend does advise pet parents to talk to their vets before switching a cat or dog from a prescription diet.

  My picky cat wasn't the only one who enjoyed the taste of Wellness products. His "brother" gobbled up their Chicken Pate and Diced Turkey so fast that I think he would have made himself sick had he eaten any other food at that pace. My two dogs, both border collie mixes, were also thrilled by the Core Superfood Protein Bars, made with turkey, duck, and kale. I honestly didn't expect my dogs to like the protein bars because, like children, dogs tend to enjoy unhealthy foods more than nutrient-packed "superfoods," but the protein bars quickly became my dogs' favorite treats. Who knew that dogs could enjoy kale so much?

  The cost of Wellness pet food is the only real drawback associated with the line of products. Because they're made from top-notch ingredients, many of which are imported from overseas or contain uncommon ingredients like venison, Wellness pet food does cost a pretty penny compared to others. But it's an expense that can "pay for itself" over time. Townshend notes that all of the top five reasons for visiting a vet's office can be remedied or prevented through a healthy diet, so an investment in a higher-quality food can actually save thousands of dollars in vet bills down the road.

  My pets aren't likely to have Wellness foods as a full-time diet because my vet advised me against switching my sensitive cat away from prescription food, and my dogs prefer other brands as their staple diet. However, I'm definitely going to be keeping Wellness treats on hand for my dogs and Wellness wet foods as an occasional treat for my kitties. The high-quality, high-nutrient foods offered by the company are a great addition to my furry family's lifestyle.


1 comment:

  1. I must say, I thought this was a pretty interesting read when it comes to this topic. Liked the material. . . . . hundefoder 

    ReplyDelete