Search This Blog

Don't List Your Pit Bull on Craigslist!


My area is still, tragically, one of the many where the sick "sport" of dog fighting is fairly common. My own neighbor had his pit bull stolen from his yard several years ago, only to be returned months later after police had busted a dog-fighting ring and identified her by microchip. It's not an uncommon story: when nearly 400 pit bulls were rescued from a dog-fighting ring recently, many of them were tracked to their original owners--and found to be either stolen or given away on websites like Craigslist. Knowing this, it scares me to death to see the number of "free to a good home" pit bull listings on my local Craigslist.
I try not to be judgmental of all the people placing their pets for free online. I know that even the best owners will sometimes need to surrender their pets unexpectedly when a serious disaster, like a grave illness or financial catastrophe, has left them unable to tend their beloved pets. But when this happens, "free to a good home" is almost never the best way to rehome an animal… especially not a pit bull, since these dogs are the most likely to be subjected to abuse in the form of dog fighting.
Today, as a test, I called three of free pit bull listings from my local Craigslist as a test. I asked questions like, "Do you want to see my home before you give me your dog?" and "Are you worried that she might end up in the wrong hands?" but the owners were completely unconcerned. One even said that it was because I "sure don't sound like a dog-fighter." Well, I'm female and I don't have a thick Southern accent, but that doesn't mean I couldn't be running a dog-fighting ring--or acting as the sweet face to pick up pit bulls for someone who might not "sound" as nice as I do.
If you need to rehome your pit bull for some reason, please practice enough caution and concern for your pet's well-being to avoid falling for the traps that dog-fighters use to get free or cheap animals from unsuspecting owners. If at all possible, keep your dog-this should be your primary goal. If that simply can't happen, your next-best option is to place the dog with a friend or relative who you can trust. Failing that, contact a no-kill shelter or pit bull rescue. Bear in mind that most shelters euthanize pit bulls quickly, so you may need to travel a long distance to find one that can keep your pooch safe.
If you've tried all these steps and are still left only with the option of putting your dog in the paper or on Craigslist, insist on a full interview, personal references, and a home inspection before you give your dog away. Anyone who will provide a truly loving home for your dog will gladly let you see their house, meet their family, and speak with a few friends so you can ensure that your dog is going somewhere safe. Please protect your pit bull. Don't give him away to anyone without ensuring that they are not involved in dog-fighting or other forms of irresponsible ownership.

No comments:

Post a Comment